The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

Inside the World of NFL Recruitment: A Conversation with Shy Anderson Recruiter of the Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys/Saint Student Media

In football, where the stakes are high and the competition fierce, recruitment is a crucial yet often overlooked aspect. Shy Anderson is a key part of the Dallas Cowboys organization. His role as a recruiter for the past five years has shaped the future of one of the most iconic teams in NFL history.

Shy Anderson’s role as a recruiter is tough work as he works around the clock on how he and his team can improve the Cowboys to bring back a Superbowl win. For the past five years, he has been at the forefront of recruitment for his team. Tasked with identifying and acquiring top talent. Anderson explains, “They give us different players to watch. And we have to watch those players and give them a certain grade on how we think they will fit on our team.”

Anderson’s journey into recruitment started with his family’s long legacy with football. His passion for football has run in the family for generations. His grandfather has owned the Cowboys for over thirty years. “Well, besides being grown into it, I have always loved being around football,” he explains. “I started recruiting in college and thought it was fun. And I might as well just do this once I graduate back home and help out the family.” 

As a recruiter, Anderson is always on the lookout for new talent. When asked about the qualities he seeks in a player, he explains, “It all depends on different things. When we are looking for receivers, you need them to be guys who have quick feet and late hands… And then, for offensive and defensive linemen, we look at their thick lower legs to see how strong their base is and make sure they don’t get pushed back easily.”

“High school could be tough, but the best thing to do is enjoy the ride because life might come at you fast, and you just do not wanna miss out.”

— Shy Anderson

Recruiters often talk to colleges to learn more about the player. “They will go to the head coach, talk, and ask about the kid and the kid’s background or how he learns and everything, and then sometimes they have a chance to talk to the players themselves to see where they come from and how they got to where they are today,” Anderson explains.

One of the most significant events for Anderson is the NFL draft. “What a normal draft looks like is we will sit down and talk about all the positions and needs that we need,” he describes. “We go through 30 players at each position and say how this guy can improve our team if he is a 1st round pick or is he more of a free agent.”

Although there is the excitement of the draft and the thrill of game day, Anderson faces his fair share of challenges. “The biggest challenge is breaking down what we all like and thinking about the player going into the draft. Like the whole grading process, trying to make sure that is all up to the standards of what my grandfather has for us. And that is probably one of the biggest challenges. And, of course, trying to make a team that can compete in the NFL.” He explains.

Despite the pressures of the job, Anderson explains his favorite parts of his career, “Just being around the game. I love watching football, and, of course, my mentor, one of my best friends, and being around him is just a whole family atmosphere with the Cowboys organization.”

Reflecting on his impact within the organization, Anderson shares, “The biggest impact for me is trying to prove to my grandfather that I know what I am doing and that I belong in the same field on how to make this team better. And I think one of my best accomplishments was a couple of years ago when we drafted CeeDee Lamb. He became one of our best impacts over the past four years.”

As he reflects on his journey, Anderson offers advice for aspiring recruiters, “ I think as soon as you sit on campus, find a way to contact your athletic department and say, I know I am not as athletic as anybody on these teams, you guys have. But I would love to work with the athletics, whether it is an equipment manager, trainer, or promoter. I just wanna be around around sports.” His message and wisdom for high schoolers are, “To live and to enjoy it. High school could be tough, but the best thing to do is enjoy the ride because life might come at you fast, and you just do not wanna miss out.”