The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

Opinion: Top 10 Movies since 2020

In the past three years there have been a ton of great movies. This article will include the top ten best movies from 2020-2023. There are so many types of movies and genres that it was hard to narrow down just which ones were the most elite. Here is a list of the top ten movies from the last three years that I believe capture the power of storytelling and magic of filmmaking.

1. Oppenheimer (2023): This film just recently won 7 Oscars making it a very successful and recognized film. Notable performances were given by two of the winners, Robert Downey Junior and the lead Cillian Murphy. It also won the Best Picture award. The narration of the film guided by the legendary director Christopher Nolan was unmatched. This film had a profound impact on everyone that watched it and kept people asking questions and wanting more. Another reason this movie was so great was that it was told in the first person. This allowed the audience to be able to live the movie along with the characters, making it have the lasting effect that it did.
  2. Dune (2021): Frank Herbert’s cosmic sci fi trilogy is a trend setter and had the ratings to make this top ten list. This movie was a book written in 1965 and is said to be George Lucas’ inspiration for Star Wars. You can see why this may be the case as you watch this film and get completely drawn into their world. Timothy Chalamet, who is one of the best up and coming film actors is the lead in this powerful movie. The message is one that all can understand and appreciate: humanity is where it is at, power and corruption will do nothing but destroy us.
  3. Top Gun Maverick (2022): From the very first minute of this movie, it is an explosion of cinematic intensity. This movie was also great because it was a follow up to the first one that everyone loved so there were memories and characters attached to another time. Tom Cruise as the lead character shows commitment to the role and brings you into his world. Performing his own stunts and delivering a captivating performance that people of all ages enjoyed. This film also used state of the art technology and cinematography to create the adrenaline pumping sequences that kept us on the edge of our seat.
  4. John Wick Chapter 4 (2022): This movie was another franchise movie and is renowned for its fantastic, choreographed fight sequences, intense gun fights, and hand to hand combat scenes. This film is so great because with each chapter the intensity is building with the audience and each film gets better and better. Another dedicated lead, Keanu Reeves, drives the action of this film and keeps the audience captivated throughout. In Chapter 4 we delved deeper into this world and were introduced to new characters, locations and alliances adding layers and depth to the already great story.
  5.  The Holdovers (2023): This film was so fantastic because of its true to life simplicity. This film offered the epitome of a feel-good Christmas movie to everyone at the perfect time. Paul Giamatti delivers a stellar performance portraying the hated, lonely professor no one wants to hang out with. This film was simple and had a great story to tell. With an ending everyone wanted and a story we all needed to see.
  6. The Batman (2022): This film, yes, another Batman, was the greatest of the franchise and one of the top best movies in the last three years. Its dark and gritty style brought in by the director, Matt Reeves brought the audience directly into the world of Batman. This darker approach allowed the film to explore deeper themes and delve deeper into the psychological aspects of the characters involved in the film. The complex characters kept us wanted more with a winning performance by the newest Batman, Robert Pattinson. The character of the Riddler and that story line made the film suspenseful and compelling for all movie goers. Another aspect of the film and its greatness was the cinematography, stunning visual effects and costume and set design. Add in the action sequences and this film had it all.
  7. Soul (2020): This film was a rich and thoughtful story about life, purpose and the pursuit of passion. It explored important questions in a thoughtful way that resonated with movie goers of all ages. The film’s concept, which follows a middle school teacher named Joe who embarks on a journey in the afterlife, gives an original story line that kept us wanting more. This animated film was also visually stunning. Animation studios is known for its high-quality animation and this movie proved this. The vibrant colors and character design brought this film to life. The message of this movie is what brought it a spot in the top ten; the simple joys of life, finding one’s passion, and appreciation of the life we live.
  8. Spiderman: No Way Home (2021): This film brings emotional depth to the franchise and explores themes of identity, sacrifice, and responsibility. We dive deep into the emotions of the characters, especially Peter Parker played by Tom Holland. Parker fights with the consequences of revealing his identity and navigating the multiverse and through his journey the audience is taken on a roller coaster of emotions, making this a deeply felt viewing experience. Nostalgia comes into play again with this top ten favorite as we have all grown up with the Spiderman franchise. The fact that they brought back characters and actors from past films only made this better. The epic action sequences and cinematic universe building shoots this movie right into the top ten. It honors the legacy of the Spiderman franchise while charting new territory and setting the stage for the future.
  9. Poor Things (2023): This film was so compelling because of its original story line. Sort of a modern-day Frankenstein story, but with a twist. This movie also brought us into their world and held on until the very end. With elements of truth, comedy, sadness, and science fiction this film had it all. Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, who is known for his distinctive visual style and unconventional storytelling, Poor Things benefits from this bold and imaginative approach. This film had another strong cast with Emma Stone leading the way in her Oscar winning performance. This film also gave the audience striking visual effects and unorthodox camera angles showcasing a very different style and blurring the lines between their world and reality.
  10. Licorice Pizza (2021): This film was a clear spot on a rainy day. Director Paul Thomas Anderson goes back to a great time (1073) and captures an unlikely friendship between a high school nerd and a 20 something girl. Cooper Hoffman, son of the late genius Phillip Seymour Hoffman delivers a powerfully understated performance in the film. There are other cameos in the film that make it come to life in the simplest of ways. A good feeling throughout and a lovely ending round out this top ten list of movies from the last three years.  

From gripping dramas to visionary genius, to just simple life movies these top ten movies represent the pinnacle of cinematic achievement in the last three years. These movies captivated audiences with their storytelling, artistic vision, and emotional resonance. As the world of film continues to evolve these ten movies will serve as timeless reminders of how films can inspire, provoke, and move their audiences in unforgettable ways.