The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

Seniors Share College Decision Insights

From Sports Dreams to Social Scenes, Finding the Right Fit Matters Most
Michael Barera
The University of North Texas

As the 2024 senior class is wrapping up their last high school year, the Juniors and Sophomores are getting more and more excited to apply and get ready for college. There is a lot of important information while getting ready for college that a lot of the seniors would’ve liked to know while they were starting the application process. There is a lot of stuff that goes into college, like location, the people there and why you chose that college.

The first senior I interviewed was Hank Parrish who is undecided on where he’s going to college. Parrish wants to go to Air Force Academy, but he’s waiting on hearing back from them. He said the reason he wanted to go was because of the military so it’s free and it’s closer than the other military campuses. Parrish visited the Air Force and loved the college and the people that were there. Parrish talked to a brigadier general at Air Force in order to get a better understanding of what the place was like and how the football program is. Football is also what Parrish wants to focus on throughout his academic career.

The second senior I interviewed was Durham Salter who chose to go to Oklahoma University. Salter chose OU because of the social aspect of the college, and he says they have a great community. Salter visited OU, where he immediately loved it and met a lot of the fellow students who showed him what it was really like. Salter has talked to a few of the people there and is planning on rushing. Salter loves the party life there and believes that he will enjoy his time a lot at OU.

The third senior I interviewed was Aubrey Haynes who is undecided on where she is going. She wants to go to either Harvard or Texas State because of the option for a potential full ride to Harvard or Texas State. She wants to go to Texas State, so that she can be part of a diverse and caring community. She has visited Texas State, and met someone there as well but her decision can still be either way. The main reasons she wants to go are diversity, journalism, and making a strong impact in helping minorities.

I also interviewed Junior Hudson Dalton about college just to see what the thought process is behind going into senior year. Dalton really has no thoughts about college right now, his biggest thing is he wants to go for football. That is the main reason and he has an offer from the Navy already. He said if he gets more opportunities his options will expand. But so far it’s all about who wants him for football. Dalton said he’s going to miss the seniors, but he’s excited to finally see what it’s like.

There are a lot of reasons that people pick their colleges. But the main consensus is sports, making a difference, and community life. The most important thing is to not rush into your college choice, but to really think about why you’re going. A few seniors are probably going to end up transferring because they will figure out it’s not the right fit. But the important thing is to remember that no matter what, there is a purpose for going to college and whether that be sports or parties or making a difference to go at it with an open minded and ready for anything approach.