The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

How is the Iceland volcano going to affect air travel?

Anthony Quintano from Mount Laurel, United States
Litli-Hrútur – Volcanic Eruption in Iceland July 2023

There are a lot of earthquakes happening in Iceland because of a volcano, and it’s getting worse each day. Already, 20,000 earthquakes have occurred. This is going to mess up flights.

Iceland declared an emergency because hundreds of earthquakes hit the Reykjanes peninsula in the last 48 hours.

The airline EasyJet says flights are normal for now, but they’re watching the situation. If things change, they’ll tell customers directly. They might advise against going to certain parts of Iceland and could move people already there. They might also stop flights to those areas.

Even though Keflavik Airport is working fine and there’s no eruption yet, there might be one soon.

People are advised to follow the news and listen to what officials say about traveling to that area. The town of Grindavík had to empty, some roads are closed, and visitors should stay away.

Because there have been a lot of small earthquakes for over two weeks in the Reykjanes Peninsula, authorities declared an emergency. Almost 4,000 people had to leave a nearby town over the weekend. They were only allowed to go back briefly to get their stuff.