The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

Texas Rangers Spring Training Recap

Rookies Shine, Pitching Woes Loom as Season Approaches
Ryan Osborne

The Texas Rangers’ Spring Training has gone as well as every spring training typically does. The Rangers still need a better bullpen piece to improve their performance during the season, considering they had 33 blown saves and only 30 saves last season. The Rangers’ young talent is among the best in MLB, with two Rookie of the Year candidates even before the season has started. Recently, they signed Michael Lorenzen from the Philadelphia Phillies to solidify the starting rotation.

The Rangers boast one of the best lineups in the league, with three of the top 100 players in MLB. Wyatt Langford and Evan Carter are both standout rookies. Langford had one of the best rookie spring trainings of all time, despite being drafted just last year. He quickly ascended to the top minor league within 44 games and will now be in the starting lineup for opening day. Evan Carter was instrumental in the Texas Rangers winning the World Series. He performed remarkably in the postseason, batting .300 with 18 hits, 6 RBIs, 9 runs scored, 9 doubles, one home run, and 3 stolen bases in 17 games played.

While the Rangers boast one of the best lineups in baseball, their pitching remains one of the worst in the league. They’ve only signed one starting pitcher and failed to re-sign Jordan Montgomery, who was pivotal in winning the World Series with his stellar postseason performances. Both Jacob deGrom and Max Scherzer, two of their best pitchers, are still injured and haven’t pitched in spring training. deGrom has started throwing again, albeit cautiously, while Scherzer, who suffered a severe back injury requiring surgery, has yet to resume throwing. There’s no update available on his recovery.