The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

Origins and Traditions of Easter

With Easter right around the corner, numerous people celebrate the holy Holiday differently. Let’s dive in and see the various Easter traditions and their background!

The Origin Story:

Easter, the oldest and often said the most important Christian Holiday, celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Many Easter traditions, such as the use of eggs and rabbits, can be traced back to early Christian rituals representing new life and rebirth, just as Jesus Christ represented when he was Resurrected.

Easter Egg Hunt:

One of the most popular traditions of Easter is the Easter egg. Across numerous cultures, eggs represent fertility, new beginnings, and Jesus’ ressurection. Dyeing and decorating eggs is a very popular tradition amongst families. For instance, According to Monash University, in Greece, red eggs symbolize the blood of Christ and exchanged as rewards of good deeds. Similarly, in Poland, uniquely decorated eggs called pisanki are exchanged among friends and family, according to Polana.

Easter Bunny:

The Easter bunny, a very popular icon in children has its origins in German folklore. It is said that the Easter bunny comes and hides treats for Children during Easter. 

Holy Week:

Easter is a time of spiritual reflection for many Christians. Holy Week, which begins with Palm Sunday and goes until Easter Sunday. Each culture brings its unique twist to commemorating the events of Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection.

Easter Diversity:

Easter traditions vary from place to place, reflecting the diversity of human culture. Each tradition adds depth and meaning to the holiday.

Future of Easter Traditions:

As we celebrate Easter, these traditions continue to evolve. In a world that often feels divided, Easter serves as a reminder of our shared humanity and the power of faith and tradition.

Does your family have any unique Easter traditions? Tell us in the comments.