The Student News Site of All Saints' Episcopal School

The Saint News

The Saint News

The Saint News

Christmas for Parents too?

As this holiday season is fast approaching, a debate will take place among individuals who are wondering whether or not to buy their parents Christmas presents.

Some may argue that the reason for the season is based on expressive love and thanks through thoughtful gifts. Children with this perspective would say that a thoughtful gift may serve as a token of appreciation for all their parents have done and given them throughout their lifetimes.

On the other hand, the people opposed to giving their parents presents may suggest that the holidays should be about prioritizing spending quality time with loved ones rather than material gifts. Those with this point of view may focus on the season being for creating intangible memories and connections instead of wasting money on things that their parents may or may not even like.

Leah Layman, a mother of four said, “I would much rather have all of my family together for the holidays having fun and making memories together versus any old gift”. I suppose the decision on whether or not to get their parents gifts would depend on each individual’s beliefs, circumstances and even family traditions.

Some people may find joy in just the simple act of giving while others prioritize family time. This holiday season decide which decision fits you and your family best. Should you spend your hard earned money on a monetary object or go spend time with your family? All Saints’ student Brody Bedford told me, “I like to buy my parents gifts because I feel like it is me appreciating them and saying thank you for all they do for me throughout the year”. Whatever your beliefs or feelings may be on the subject I am sure your parents will be happy and still love you either way.